Fr. Kuriakose Elias Chavara
Born February 10, 1805 Died January 3, 1871
The college proudly holds St.Alphonsa as the patron, for her great ideals of determination, sacrifice and dedication.
St. Alphonsa group has been derived from Blessed Chavara Educational Trust(BCET) for conducting various professional courses. BCET is dedicated to the great ideals of Fr. Kuriakose Elias Chavara who lived in Kerala one hundred and fifty years ago. Being a humble servant of God with heavenly virtues, he established himself as a scholar, a committed educationist and a philanthropist.
The Trust has been in existence since 2006, with the objective of providing high quality educational programmes and services through its Institutes. The major personnel involved in the trust have a good exposure of social, cultural and educational backgrounds.
The major aspects focussed by the trust are:-
- Personality Development
- Improvement in Communication skills
- Experience and qualifications of the faculty
- Facilities (Lab, Classroom, Library, Hostel)
St. Alphonsa, a Biography…
Alphonsa Muttathupadathu (August 19, 1910 July 28, 1946) is the first Indian women to be elevated to sainthood. She was beatified by Pope John Paul II in 1986 and decided as a saint by pope Benedict XVI on March 1 2008. It was officially declared on October 12 2008.
Sr. Alphonsa was born on 19 August 1910. Her baptismal name was Anna and was affectionately called Annakutty.
Annakutty believed that a Carmelite nun had appeared to her and advised her to become a nun. She read the biography of St.Threse of Lisieux which instilled in her a strong desire to become a saint.
Therefore she resisted all compulsions to yield to marriage proposals. When she was compelled to attend her betrothal ceremony, she sought to escape from it by voluntarily stepping into a pit of burning husk.
Her feet were badly burnt and had to be confined to bed for several weeks. Her aunt finally relented to her desire and permitted her to join a convent.
Annakutty joined the clarist Convent at Bharananganam and received the veil of postulants on 2nd August 1928 with the name Alphonsa in honour of St. Alphonse Ligouri, whose feast day it was. Her vestition was held on 19th May 1930.
In 1984 the pope officially declared that Sr. Alphonsa had heroically practiced Christian virtues. A miracle wrought through her intercession was also formally approved by the Holy See on 16th July 1985. She was beatified by Pope John Paul II on 8th February 1986 at Kottayam and decided as a saint by the pope Benedict XVI on March 1 2008. It was officially declared on October 12, 2008.
All Indians are proud to have St. Alphonsa , the first Catholic saint in India, born of Indian parents, lived and sanctified her life in India.
So, the college is proud to hold St. Alphonsa as the patron, for her great ideals of determination, sacrifice and commitment to the society.
St. Alphonsa Group Of Institutions
St. Alphonsa group of Institutions holds two colleges, namely, St. Alphonsa College for Hotel Management and St. Alphonsa Institute for Management Studies (SAIMS).
St. Alphonsa College for Hotel Management is a self financing college affiliated to the University of Calicut for conducting B.Sc. Hotel Management programme. At present, the college is temporarily functioning at Puthiyanirath, Elathur, Vengeli, Calicut and bears the corporate office at Blessed Chavara Building, Chungam, West Hill, Calicut. The new college campus for St. Alphonsa College for Hotel Management is proposed at Anamooli, Mannarkad, Palakkad district in nearly 12 acres of land along with resorts. On completion of the project the college will hold a well spacious building with all modern amenities and aesthetically built resort inside the campus for the development of the students.
St. Alphonsa Institute for Management Studies (SAIMS) is a programme centre of Calicut university for conducting regular professional courses under SDE(School of Distance Education). Under this institute, a Diploma programme in Hotel Management and a degree programme viz. B.Sc. Counselling Psychology are being conducted. These courses are regular programmes and are not correspondence courses.
The college emphasizes on value based quality education and overall development of students apart from imparting theoretical & practical knowledge. Even though the college is functioning in a temporary campus, the management assures the availability of infrastructure and all other facilities to the students in the present scenario and does not compromise in the quality of the students passing out from the institution.
Apart from the infrastructure and facilities offered, the management takes utmost care in offering the students the best quality education through well qualified and experienced faculty. Students are trained in a manner to improve their skills and knowledge to build a career in hospitality/tourism industry. All the students are provided with the best possible training at star classified hotels at major cities across India. Students who maintain the institutional standards and express their talents are assured placements both in India and Overseas.
Objectives of blessed Chavara Educational Trust:
- To conduct various courses in regular or distance schemes.
- Provide scholarships to the eligible students.
- Introduce and conduct various scholarships and related exams.
- To conduct entrance exams for various courses.
- To give counselling, guidance and training for various competitive examinations.
- To cater to the necessities of Tourism, Hotels, Hospitality industry and provide sufficient professional, skilled and unskilled man power to these industries.
- To promote hospitality, tourism, hotel industry in the country and to build up good professionals in tourism and hospitality industry thereby giving a boost to this profession.
- Plans to conduct new projects in tourism industry
- Give support to backward communities along with other communities by providing proper professional education
- To conduct discussions, seminars, debates and study classes on subjects with relevant themes on education, social and tourism.
- To conduct short term home science and cookery courses for unemployed women and housewives.
- Providing scholarship to backward students.
- By proper analysis and research, plan and conduct various professional and vocational courses that are necessary to the society.
- Act as a consultancy for various projects in tourism industry
- Provide and establish educational institutions and take over any institution and provide necessary infrastructure for the promotion of the educational institution.
- Obtaining license, permissions, affiliations, recognitions, fellowship etc; from state/central government, foreign authorities, universities, autonomous bodies etc;
- Giving proper advertisement that is required for the promotion of various courses and institutions.
- Involve in activities of charitable nature or otherwise as decided by the trustees.
Tourism & Hospitality Industry
Tourism industry is substantial, vibrant and one of the fastest growing sectors world wide and its rapid growth is creating numerous opportunities for young men and women with drive ambitions and foresight. As tourism is considered, it is the second largest industry in the world, The boom in the tourism industry has resulted in the immense growth of hotel industry in India. As tourism industry grows, the flow of tourists from many countries towards India increases, so the need for accommodation increases year by year. ITDC, a government undertaking has constructed a set of hotels at many places in the country.
- Taj group of hotels
- Holiday Inn
- Oberoi group of hotels
- Leela venture Ltd.
- Park Group of hotels
- I.T.C (Welcome) Group of Hotels
Hotel management is one of the most interesting career options in the contemporary job market. The hotel industry promises a bright future for anyone who wishes to take up a career in this segment. The students opting for hotel management career courses must have an affinity towards socializing and understanding the needs of the people. Hotel management courses make one aware of the operating-sections of the hotel industry like front office, food and beverage Production, food and beverage service, Housekeeping & General Operations. As hotel falls under service industry, the students should be prepared to face the challenges of this competitive world. Here arises the need for a recognized and reputed Institution for career training……
It’s a stressful world we live in. There’s no denying it. People are much more stressed now than ever before. Not even children are spared, with increased homework, workloads, extracurricular activities and social pressures. It doesn’t take any stretch of the imagination to know what stress can do to a person. Its negative impact can affect a person emotionally, physically and spiritually.
People are looking for alleviation by reaching out to therapists and doctors for remedies to their stress-induced ailments like depression and migraines. Some even seek religious counsel.
Counseling psychology as a psychological speciality facilitates personal and interpersonal functioning across the life span with a focus on emotional, social, vocational, educational, health-related, developmental and organizational concerns. Through the integration of theory, research, and practice, and with a sensitivity to multicultural issues, this speciality encompasses a broad range of practices that help people improve their well-being, alleviate distress and maladjustment, resolve crisis, and increase their ability to live more highly functioning lives. Counseling psychology is unique in its attention both to normal developmental issues and to problems associated with physical, emotional, and mental disorders.
- Handle crises in relationships
- Deal with stress and other pressures
- Resolve fears, panics and anxieties
- Cope with continuing family problems
- Work through difficult decisions
- Break through depression and sadness
- Bring out your creativity and self-expression
- Learn to assert your own needs
- Renew a sense of purpose in your life
- Find paths to self-discovery